Iowa Stories

New videos as they are completed.

A life saved.  Aug 10th, 2020

Being a new company, and building this company from the ground up since the beginning of 2020, it is a proud day to have opened this website on July 15th, 2020.  We are currently working on several video stories at the moment.  As soon as one is completed we will share it on the page.  Thanks for your patience.

James B. Huston Story.

  James was born on May 26, 1811, in Nelson Co., Kentucky, and moved to Lawrence Co., Indiana in 1825, where he worked on a farm and taught school.  He married Nancy Hill on December 29, 1831, in Orange Co., Indiana.   (She was the daughter of Joseph Hill of Orange Co., Indiana).  They moved to Hancock Co., Indiana, where James sold saddles and bridles as a sideline to farming and teaching.  They lived in Hancock County during the 1830s and in Martin County, Indiana, most of the 1840s.  James taught school in Hancock County, 1834-35, and Martin County 1839-1849.

  James' brother William was evidently selected by the Huston family to go to Iowa by riverboat and locate new land soon to be opened west of Des Moines.  In Dallas County, William staked out the land for himself, James and brother Jonathan.  James and Jonathan followed on land in wagons and arrived on October 14, 1849.  James purchased 240 acres of land from the government along the stage route from Fort Des Moines to Council Bluffs, and until 1867 was engaged in farming on it.  He built and managed a stagecoach line inn, tavern, and the first post office in Dallas County on his farm.  (It was customary in stagecoach days to have taverns five miles or so out on the main roads from important towns).  He prospered until he owned nearly one thousand acres of land in the area.  James was the first Dallas County attorney, according to historical records.

  The first ten children were born in Indiana and the last two in Iowa.  The family, however, was struck with tragedy.  Of this family of twelve children, three sons and three daughters were deaf-mutes (Sarah, Mary Ann, David, George, Frederick, Burnetta).  In the 1895 U.S. Special Census of Deaf Marriages, David Huston states that his sister, Sarah, became deaf from scarlet fever.  David listed his brother, George, as born deaf, but reference to an 1870 document states the 3rd (Burnetta) and 8th children (George) lost their hearing due to disease.

  Mary Ann and Burnetta attended a school for deaf-mutes in Iowa City, IA.  Two infant sons were lost due to illness, one in Indiana and one in Iowa.  The younger infant son was buried in 1851 in the southwest corner of their tract of land in Boone Township, Dallas Co.  This was the first of many burials of the Huston family in what was later to be known as the "Huston Cemetery".  When the area became more populated, and the lands were surveyed for roads, it was found that the Huston Cemetery was squarely in the middle of the intersection.  A county supervisor ordered that the cemetery be moved, but James' sons proved that the cemetery had been recorded years before in Adel, IA.  So the roads were made to encircle the plot, thus it became also known as "The Middle of the Road Cemetery".

  James gave 40 acres of land to each of his afflicted children living at the time - Sarah, David, George, and Fredrick. He helped his other sons, Joseph and Jonathan purchase farms nearby.  His son, James, obtained the elder James' farm in Adel.  James retired from farming in 1867, after his wife's death.  He died January 29, 1889, in Dallas Co., IA, and is buried in the Huston Cemetery.